Last week, I posted about the Boy Scouts of America’s (BSA) ongoing policies that ban homosexual scouts and troop leaders from their organization.
Because the Supreme Court found that BSA is a private organization, it can discriminate by limiting their membership, now at 2.7 million youth. The Boy Scout policy states that :”Boy Scouts of America believes that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the obligations in the Scout Oath and Scout Law to be morally straight and clean...”
Growing Dissatisfaction with BSA’s Stance
Unlike the Girl Scouts of America which does NOT discriminate, the BSA anti-gay policy has many up in arms. Besides the Eagle Scouts who have returned their badges to BSA headquarters, gay activists as well as LGBT service members’ advocacy groups called on BSA to abandon their anti-gay policy.
Make BSA Policy More Relevant To Our Evolving Country
If you find BSA’s modus operandi unacceptable, you can oppose the ban by taking action:
- · Boycott the organization. Do not contribute any money to BSA.
- · Tell your friends, co-workers, and family to do the same.
- · Gather signatures for a petition and mail to BSA headquarters. Address below.
- · Write a letter to Wayne Perry, President of Boy Scouts, National Executive Board, P.O. Box 152079, Irving, Texas 75015-2079. Send a self-addressed stamped envelope and ask for a reply. In this letter, state that you are not going to support BSA until the anti-gay policy is revised. Mention that you are going to contribute to non-discriminatory organizations that serve youth such as YMCA/YWCA, Campfire, 4H, and Girl Scouts of America.
- · You may want to send copies of this letter to City Council Members, School Board, and local newspaper.
- · Have your Troop Leader write as well.
Who’s Morally Straight?
What could be more traditional and ALL-American than the Boy Scouts of America, founded in 1910? It may be a private organization, but it’s not a private country club for an elite group. It should be an open organization that teaches morals, tolerance, responsibility to youth so they can serve their country. Only then will the organization be “morally straight and clean.”
Post Your Comment Here: