Today is #40toNoneDay. It serves to raise public awareness about LGBT youth homelessness. LGBT persons face discrimination, social stigma, and often rejection by their families. These consequences of society’s non-acceptance can result in 7.4% more acts of sexual violence to them than their heterosexual peers and LGBT youth are more likely to attempt suicide (62%) than their heterosexual homeless peers.
Source: www.safeschoolscoalition.org/LGBTQhomeless FactSheet by NAEH pdf.
Numbers are Proportionally High
Did you know that:
· In the U.S., each year, up to 1.6 million youth experience homelessness.
· According to the Williams Institute, a think tank at the UCLA Law School, dedicated to research on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy, 40% of the homeless youth identify as LGBT.
· Yet the LGBT youth represent an estimated 7% of the total youth population!
· In terms of healthcare, LGBT youth tend to be underserved due to shortage of clinics and facilities that cater to their unique health needs and because some healthcare providers refuse to treat minors without parental consent.
· Identity-based family rejection is the most commonly cited reason for LGBT youth homelessness. More than one in four are thrown out of their homes.
What Can Be Done?
Housing and identity-related supports are the two greatest needs for LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness, according to TRUE COLORS FUND. Co-founded by Cyndi Lauper, TCF works to end homelessness by community organizing, public policy, research, and youth collaboration programs.
For #40toNoneDay, GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation that reports media transphobia) and other LGBT advocates are uniting with http://www.TrueColorsFund.org to sharply reduce the high percentage of LGBTQ homeless youth from 40% to none.
It’s Free For Everyone!
The 40 to None Network has a free online community connecting service providers, educators, researchers, government officials, funders, advocates, young people, and others around the issue. The Network has online discussion groups, member directory, true inclusion directory, conference and workshop directory.
Check It Out today and show your support every day, not just on 4/27!